Energy is the capacity for work/the ability to do work or produce change. When a substance gives us energy, it refers to the substance supplying the body with more strength and or alertness to get work done
1. Carbonated water: is water when carbon dioxide has been infused under pressure and combined with water. Carbonated water is known at increase a hunger hormone also known as “ghrelin”, carbonated water is also known to hydrate the body, relieve upset stomach, treat constipation and lower blood pressure.
2. High fructose corn syrup: is a sweetener made from corn starch, the starch is broken down into glucose by enzymes, high fructose corn syrup contains contaminants including mercury that is not measuredly the FDA, simple the same as ‘poisoned sugar’ high fructose corn syrup has a temporal relation to the epidemic of obesity.
3. Citric acid: citric acid is a weak organic acid, it is an intermediate in the citric acid cycle, which occurs in the metabolism of all aerobic organisms, it serves as an environmentally benign cleaning agent and acts as an antioxidant.
4. Natural flavours: natural flavours are things that come from natural sources, the ingredient is found in nature and then purified and extracted and added back into the food
5. Guarana seed extract: derived from the seeds of a South American tree, because it is high in caffeine it is a popular energy supplement, guarana involves among the highest concentrations of caffeine in any plant, caffeine increases alertness when consumed throughout the day improves mental performance and alertness in sleep-deprived people.
6. Sodium hexametaphosphate: is used to protect natural and artificial flavours
7. Caffeine: a central nervous stimulant of the methylxanthine class, it is the worlds most widely known consumed psychoactive drug, it is used to increase mental productively and alertness, when we drink anything that involves caffeine, the caffeine binds adenosine receptors, preventing the chemical from binding with the receptors and making us more tired
8. Gum arabic: also known as acacia gum, is a natural gum consisting of the hardened sap of various species of acacia trees, a complex polysaccharide indigestible considered a safe dietary fibre, ingestion of gum arabic is known to decrease BMI.
9. Sodium citrate: is a medication used to make urine less acidic, when urine is less acidic it helps the kidneys, as it helps prevent gout and kidney stones and also used to treat metabolic problems.
10. Glycerol ester of wood rosin: collected from the stumps of long-leaf pine trees, is mixed and used as a thinking agent as well as a stabilizer
11. Potassium sorbate: is a chemical additive in food/drinks; it is used as a preservative, keeps drinks that are commonly prone to hold growth/ bacteria growth, keeps it fresher for longer.
12. Taurine: is a type of amino acid, it is concentrated on the brain, eyes, heart and muscles, maintaining proper hydration and electrolyte balance in cells, regulating minerals such as calcium in cells as well as regulates the immune system and antioxidant functions. Amino acids are involved in protein catabolism from this cycle it moves into glycolysis which there creates ATP which the body uses for energy.
13. L-Theanine: is derived from tea leaves from eastern Asia, it is used in relieving stress by releasing a relaxing effect without the drowsiness, theanine has effects on the cardiovascular system increasing heart rate, increasing alertness.
14. Sucralose: is a zero calorie artificial sweetener, also commonly known as Splenda, it is simply used as a sweetener because of the fact that is 400-700 times sweeter than sugar.
There are few ingredients that supply energy, as it is quite ironic due to the fact that it is an energy drink, however, the three ingredients that do supply energy to our bodies are taurine, caffeine and guarana seed extract. Guarana seed extract and caffeine both supply the body with “energy” as guarana seed extract is simply a high concentration of caffeine, caffeine doesn’t really supply the body energy as it simply is the quintessential mimic of a neurochemical called adenosine caffeine is to mimic adenosine’s shape and size, and enter the receptors without activating them, the receptors are then effectively blocked by caffeine and while these receptors are blocked you are able to stay awake and alert for longer than usual due to the numb receptors having the inability to tell your brain that you are tired. Taurine is an ingredient that actually supplies your body with energy, as taurine is a type of amino acid it is involved in protein catabolism, an protein catabolism then proceeds to the process of glycolysis where ATP is created through the process of creating two pyruvate molecules. As well as L-Theanine is a natural ingredient that decreases stress and relaxes the body without the effect of drowsiness, L-Theanine increases your heart rate which increases your level of alertness these are both symptoms of increased energy.
Ingredients that contribute to body repair are sodium citrate, citric acid and gum arabic. when you take sodium citrate it does not repair any part of your body however, it can prevent bad situations from occurring such as kidney stones, this happens due to the fact that sodium citrate is a neutralizer it reduces the acidity of your urine turning it to be more basic, with this know the body has a smaller chance of kidney stones forming. Citric acid also is not involved in body repair, however, it is an environmentally benign cleaning agent